BOYS & GIRLS INDOOR TRACK
EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT: THE BTHS BOYS WIN THE PSAL 2018-2019 CITY CHAMPIONSHIP!
On Saturday 2/16/19 the BTHS Boys decisively claimed 1st place with 67 team points while Christopher Columbus Campus took 2nd with 48 points and dethroned 2-time champion Susan Wagner could only muster 42. The BTHS Girls put up a great fight but no team was able to stop Paul Robeson Campus HS from winning the title this season. Congratulations to both teams for great indoor seasons and get ready for the Engineers as they take to the outdoor track this spring. Please click the title for highlights. GO ENGINEERS!
1. Evan Sherman (’19) successfully defended his 3200m crown, cruising to a 20-second victory over Jack Craven of Beacon HS. Over the past four years, Sherman has finished 9th (Fr.), 2nd (Soph.), 1st (Jr.) and 1st again (Sr.) in this event.
2. In a stirring 1600m duel, Dylan Canales (’20) lost his lead in the backstretch to Susan Wagner’s Joseph Romero but coming off the final turn Canales dug deep and used a furious kick to roar across the finish line in 1st place -- solidifying BTHS’s claim as the #1 distance team in the PSAL.
Canales (1600m) & Sherman (3200m) amassed a whopping 20 points for the BTHS championship cause at these two distances.
3. While Astor Meredith-Goujon (’19) set a Personal Record in the 600m finals (1:22.89) Mark Ogbuehi, Cambria Hts HS and Malik Melhado, Paul Robeson Campus HS came out of nowhere to take 1st and 2nd place. Meredith-Goujon still added a crucial 6 event points to BTHS’s title campaign. DeQuane Nealy (’20) set a Personal Record (1:25.97) placing 6th in the event and securing the event’s final point for BTHS.
4. Bishopp Boutin ('19) again competed in three events for the Engineers: lowering his Personal Record in the 55m High Hurdles (7.75 secs), 16th in the Long Jump and finally leaving it all on the track securing 3rd place in the High Jump (5’-10”). In all, Boutin won 8 points for the Engineers.
5. As he did last year, Parker Straight (’19) took 2nd place in the 1000m and brought home 8 event points for BTHS. Straight battled Ermiyas Harper of Midwood HS from the starter’s gun -- neither allowing the other a meter’s gap over five laps. Ultimately, Harper took 1st place with both runners pushing each other to set Personal Records in the distance.
Isaac Stamper (’19) came in 6th and set a Personal Record (2:39.95) while scoring the last event point for the Engineers. Juniors Christian Nicolas (2:42.38) and Otto Horiuchi (2:43.40) also set Personal Records at the distance.
6. The Engineers 4x800m relay A-team [Canales, Straight, Meredith-Goujon & Sherman) entered the Championships as the #1 seed. However, #3 seeded Bronx HS of Science rested their entire relay team until the end of the meet and ultimately won 1st place leaving 2nd to the BTHS A-team. But the 5th seeded BTHS B-team [Sufiyan Sarguroh (’19), Horiuchi, Peja Breuler (’19) & Nicolas] rallied to grab 3rd place by overtaking #4 seeded Francis Lewis HS and #3 seeded Susan Wagner HS. Horiuchi’s 2nd leg led the B-team with a Personal Record 800m split of 2:03.79.
7. Konstantin Van Schendel (’19) capped his four years of PSAL indoor Pole Vaulting by setting a Personal Record of 11’-0” – good for 3rdplace and scoring 6 points for BTHS.
8. The BTHS 4x400m relay A-team [Jacob Koziej ('21), Obrian Rosario ('20), Nealy and anchor Mateusz Czajkowski (’19)] took 6th place and earned a final point in the event.
9. The following PSAL champions, runner-ups and NYS time-qualifiers from today's meet will represent all of New York City (!) at the NYS Federation meet on 3/2/19 at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island: Sherman (3200m), Canales (1600m), Straight (1000m) and Meredith-Goujon (600m). Good luck and thanks to the seniors (see below) for four great BTHS years on the track:
10. In her first City Championship race, 9th grader Farah Osman (’22) took 4th place in the 3000m run and scored the 1st points  of the meet for the Engineers.
11. Lucinda Doogan ('20) and Christy Huyhn ('20) took 3rd and 4th place in the 1500m.
12. In the 4x800m relay, the BTHS A-team [Huyhn, Doogan, Juliet Gottfried (’19) & Astrid Obadia (’20)] earned 2nd place.
13. Doogan and Huyhn will move on to the NYS Federation meet as well in the 1500m as runner-up and NYS time-qualifier. GOOD LUCK!
For complete meet coverage please click the following links:
The Engineers move on to the PSAL Freshman & Sophomore City Championship on 3/2/19 at the Ft. Washington Ave. Armory in northern Manhattan. GO (YOUNG) ENGINEERS!