BOYS & GIRLS INDOOR TRACK
The BTHS Engineers indoor track teams ushered in the Lunar New Year (Tuesday, 2/5/19) at the PSAL Open Invitational track & field meet in Staten Island. 1ST PLACE FINISHES were earned by 10th graders Marcus Scott (600m) and Jacob Koziej (Long Jump) for the Boys and 9th graders Oralie Joseph-Gabriel (Fr. 55m High Hurdles), Farah Osman (Fr. 1500m) and 10th grader Isabella Greyser (Soph. 1500m) for the Girls. For more details on Coach Taylor and Clarke's hard-working and talented student-athletes, please click the headline.
1. Marcus Scott ('21) breezed through the field to win the Soph 600m race with a Personal Record, 1:30.08; fellow Sophomores Jacob Koziej and Andrew Smith took 6th and 7th place.
2. Jacob Koziej ('21) shattered his Personal Record in the Soph. Long Jump with a leap of 19'-04.75" taking 1st place and qualifying for the PSAL City Finals later this month
3. Alisher Yokubjono ('22) took 3rd place in the Freshman 600m run with a time of 1:40.50; Fr. teammate Joshuwa Portalatin finished 6th at 1:43.55
4. While Parker Straight ('19) was edged out by his Midwood HS rival, Ermiyas Harper in the Varsity 1000m run, the Engineers dominated the event taking four of the top 10 finishes: Straight, 2nd at 2:32.79, Christian Nicolas ('20) 6th at 2:47.02, Merlin Beaufils ('19) 7th at 2:48.42 and Otto Horiuchi ('20) 10th at 2:51.27. Nicolas also qualified for the PSAL City Finals in this event.
5. Once again, the Freshman trio of Dylan Zhao, Erik Nebel & Andres Orbegozo ganged up on the PSAL competition finishing 2nd, 3rd & 4th in BOTH the 1000m and the 1600m events; fellow Freshman Kyle Lin took 7th in 1600m crossing the finish line at 5:28.62
6. In the varsity "metric mile" (a/k/a 1600m), the Engineers took 5th: Peja Breuler ('19) 4:46.28; 6th: Isaac Stamper ('19) 4:47.31 and 7th: Otto Horiuchi ('20) 4:47.77. Breuler also qualified for the PSAL City Finals in this event.
7. Oralie Joseph-Gabriel (11.38 sec.) and Susan Jimenez (11.87 sec.) continued their progress in the Freshman 55m Hurdles finishing 1st and 2nd place while also setting Personal Records.
8. Freshman 600m: 2nd place by Farah Osman ('22) 1:53.88
9. Sophomore 1500m: 1st place to Isabella Greyser ('21) at 5:42.54 and 2nd place to Daisy Wolter ('21) at 6:15.93
10. Farah Osman (5:20.43) ran away with the Freshman 1500m and qualified for the PSAL City Championships; 3rd place went to Diana Lorenzo Reyes at 6:14.17 and 5th place to Paige McCallion at 6:38.47
11. In the Varsity 3000m Maya Almawaldi ('21) took 2nd place with a Personal Record time of 11:52.43 barely missing the PSAL City Finals qualifying time.
For complete meet coverage please click the following links:
The Engineers move on from this tune-up to the PSAL Brooklyn Borough Championships next Sunday morning (2/10/19) at the Ft. Washington Ave. Armory in northern Manhattan. The Boys will defend their 2017-18 Championship and the Girls will seek to avenge last year's 2nd place finish to Medgar Evers College Prep HS.